Many people are hesitant to get a home security system because they have heard reports of them having issues or have experienced these issues themselves. There is also the thought that your home alarm system has to be expensive to function properly. However, the reality is, it doesn’t matter how expensive or inexpensive your home security system is, there are some common issues that all homeowners may experience.
Here are some common issues you may face and how to resolve them.
Five Common Home Security Issues and How to Fix Them
- Insufficient Coverage for The Entire Home – Insufficient monitoring coverage is a common issue many homeowners face. Sometimes this is due to purchasing too small of a security system for the home, leaving areas vulnerable to a breach, and sometimes this is because the various security systems you own aren’t collaborative. This is especially common for people who have tried to install a security system themselves or bought a package deal that may not be right for their home. The solution to this is having the right security company come in and do an evaluation of your system to identify weak spots and upgrade or adjust your system as needed.
- Experiencing False Alarms – False alarms are another issue many homeowners face, which are often caused from an alarm system not being installed correctly. They can also be triggered by a sound from an open window or even falling branches. False alarms can become very annoying and frustrating for homeowners. The best way to prevent them is by having systems properly installed and maintained in order to ensure they are functioning correctly. Home alarm systems also should be inspected regularly to prevent false alarms.
- The System Won’t Alarm or Disarm – This issue is usually caused by a door or window not being shut properly. However, it can also be indicative that there is an issue with the system itself. If you are sure all your windows and doors are closed, you should contact your security company to come and inspect your system to determine the cause of the problem.
- Your Security Products Won’t Work Together – This is a common problem for people who have purchased security products from different companies, have some do-it-yourself security pieces, and some from a security company. In some cases, different security products may not work well with other systems making the overall security system inefficient for your home. Having incompatible cameras, motion detectors, sound sensors, alarms, monitoring stations, and other devices will turn into a faulty security system. The way to resolve this is by ensuring all of your security components are compatible with one another. Purchasing them all from the same place, or even better, having a home automation security company do the entire installation will ensure everything works together correctly.
- Security System Lacks Regular Maintenance – This is the easiest problem to resolve with your home security system – all you need to do is schedule regular maintenance appointments with your security company so they can make sure every part of your system is working properly. Don’t forget, regular maintenance can even be as simple as making sure to change the batteries regularly. Forgoing regular maintenance appointments leaves your security system susceptible to breaches and can even leave your family at unnecessary risk.
Our home security specialists at Hive can help you determine the best type of security system for your home.
Read more here about Why Smart Home Security Systems Increase Your Home Value.
We’re here to help answer any questions you have about the home technology process. Call (813) 938-1585 or click anytime.